A redesign of the Port Kembla Surf Club House will allow the club to offer enhanced training facilities and more space for functions, meetings and workshops.
The surf club, which was established in 1910, received $15,839 from Round 1 of the Port Kembla Community Investment Fund to redesign the club house.
The project includes removing an internal wall to open up the club house and extend the club’s ability to train members in Surf Life Saving. This training includes Juniors progressing through the ranks, new members and existing members who wish to train for more senior awards and accreditation.
Stage 1 of the project involved planning, project scoping and gaining approval for the final design which has now been approved. The club was successful for further funding from the Port Kembla Community Investment Fund Round 3 to cover the construction costs of Stage 2.
Port Kembla Beach is regarded as one of Wollongong’s most prestigious beaches. The surf club was established in 1910 with bathing at Port Kembla Beach dating back to the 1900s and the first dressings sheds erected in 1912. The club had more than 360 members last season.
The Surf Club is perched on the high dunes, overlooking the northern end of Port Kembla beach and is the longest in the Wollongong area at 6.6 kilometres.
The beach is patrolled from the end of September to the end of April.